University of Michigan
- Head coach Carol Hutchins (Hutch) is in her 33rd season at the helm of the University of Michigan softball program. Hutch owns more wins than any other coach in any division in NCAA softball history! Period! She has guided the Wolverines to:
- 1 NCAA title
- 19 Big Ten Conference titles
- 9 Big Ten Tournament titles
- Qualified for NCAA Tournament 24 times
- 18 NCAA Regional crowns
- 12 WCWS appearances
- Never had a losing season
- Inducted into the NFCA Hall of Fame in 2006.
- With a career record of 1,484-478-4 as a head coach, she has a winning percentage of 75% and has averaged 46 wins per year for 32 years!
- Michigan posted a 52-7 record in 2016, claiming its ninth straight Big Ten title and a spot in the WCWS– the program’s 12th overall and third in four years. Sierra Romero was named the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year and Megan Betsa repeated as Big Ten Pitcher of the Year.
- Under Hutch, Michigan became the first program east of the Mississippi River to claim the NCAA national championship when it defeated UCLA in the 2005 championship series. Michigan returned to the WCWS championship series in 2015, ultimately settling for NCAA runner-up honors after falling to Florida. The 2015 Wolverines boasted a 60-8 record, led the nation with 118 home runs, also set program records in runs scored (540) and runs-batted in (504).
- Hutchins has earned 16 Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year honors, 9 NFCA Regional Coach of the Year awards and a pair of NFCA National Coach of the Year honors.
- In 2005, Hutchins helped select both the USA Softball National and Elite teams and was appointed head coach for the Elite Team at the Canada Cup and was assistant coach for the National Team at the Japan Cup.
- The Wolverines have received 63 total All-America citations under Hutchins, including 22 first-team nods. Michigan players have claimed 19 Big Ten Player of the Year awards, 14 Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards, and 12 Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors.
Hutch is the winningest softball coach in NCAA history & one of our game’s toughest competitors. Hutch brings to this Hitting Summit her unique ability to create hitters who battle and compete with intensity on every single pitch. ~Cindy